Citizenship & Work Permits

Are you an EU citizen?

If you are living in one of the following countries, you may go and work in Belgium without a work permit:

Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Are you staying longer than 3 months in Belgium to work there? Then you need to apply for a temporary residence permit. To do this, you need your identity card or European passport and 3 passport photos. You also have to pay a small contribution. Your residence permit is valid for 3 months and may be extended to one year. After that you may apply for a permanent residence permit, once you have a stable income.

Do you want more info on the formalities and the documents needed? Visit:

Citizenship & Work permits

You are not a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland?

You are not living in one of the countries mentioned above? Then it is not sure that you are allowed to work in Belgium. Contact the Belgian embassy in your country for more information.

Your rights as a European citizen

If you have a specific question about your rights as a European citizen, please contact Your Europe Advice. Your Europe Advice offers free and personalized advice in your own language, within one week. They clarify the European law in your case, and explain how you can exercise your rights as a European citizen.

Problems with a national authority

Do you have a problem with the national authority in another Member State? Do you think your rights as a European citizen are not correctly applied by the national instance? Then maybe SOLVIT can help you! SOLVIT is an online network that helps to find a pragmatic solution to problems citizens and businesses encounter that are caused by the misapplication of European law by public authorities. There is a SOLVIT Center in each European Member State as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.